Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Strawberry Cake

On his birthday, along with a yummy breakfast, I also treated my dad to a delightful strawberry cake.


Fluffy, light, and filled with fresh strawberries this cake is sure to please.  And it's eggless too!




I wasn't totally sure about this cake when I decided to make it.  I had originally planned on an angel food cake, but then bailed at the last minute because I was unable to find the correct pan.


I needed another cake recipe, and fast.  This particular one caught my eye simply because it was pretty.  Im a sucker for some beautiful food.  Lucky for me, this cake tasted just as good as it looked!




Strawberry Cake - original recipe can be found here

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 1-3/4 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2/3 cup Sugar
  • 1-1/2 tbsp cane sugar (you can use regular sugar too)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup yogurt, mixed with some water
  • 1 (or maybe a bit more) cups thinly sliced fresh strawberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a cake pan (I used a 10 inch round one).  Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  In a separate bowl beat the butter, oil, and 2/3 cup sugar together.  Once fluffy beat in vanilla extract.  Gently mix in flour mixture in multiple batches, alternating with yogurt.  Mix until just combined and don't overmix.  Fold in the chopped strawberries next.  Pour batter into cake pan and smooth on top.  Lay down more chopped strawberries and sprinkle with (cane) sugar.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cake is golden on top and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Let cake cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.



In all honesty, I shouldnt really be surprised that this cake was as delicious as it was.  After all, it had fresh strawberries which I am absolutely in love with.


Dad ate some cake too, making me very happy because I always like to think that someone enjoyed what I created.  Also, it would stink to have a cake you didn't like on your birthday, so I'm glad he enjoyed it.


If you like fruit cakes, this is a must.  The juicy strawberries moisten the cake and make it just the right amount gooey.  You can even try the same recipe with a different fruit if your not a total strawberry lover.  


I'd love to hear about your experiments!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment