Monday, July 30, 2012

Coconut Ginger Cookies

I'm always trying new things, especially when it comes to food.


A little while ago, I was playing around a bit with coconut flour.

I had ordered some (as well as a few other unusual ingredients) from Amazon, wanting to try all the interesting recipes I'd seen floating around the web.


First off, I tried a quick little recipe for mini chocolate chip cookies.  Liking how they turned out, I decided to tackle one of my favorite cookies, a ginger one.


Though these ginger cookies aren't exactly what you may be used to, I think they taste good, and that the slight coconut flavor adds a bit of a unique taste.  They're also great for anyone on a gluten free diet who doesn't want to miss out on all the fun!


Coconut Ginger Cookie - original recipe can be found here
(makes only about 7 small cookies)

  • 2 tbsp coconut flour
  • 2 tbsp applesauce
  • 1 tbsp sugar (you can get away with a bit less)
  • pinch baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • pinch salt
  • 1-2 tbsp almond milk (start with one)
Preheat oven to 350F.  In a small bowl, mix together dry ingredients.  Then add in applesauce and stir.  Add milk and slowly mix in until incorporated (start with 1 tbsp, then add another if needed).  Shape dough into small cookies on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.  Let cool before serving.



If you need you're own bag of coconut flour to try out this recipe, just click on the picture below to buy some.  I think it's a good purchase, especially if you're wanting to do some experimenting in the kitchen (maybe with gluten free recipes).  I definitely plan to use my supply a lot more, perhaps to even create a recipe from my imagination.

Also, if you already have coconut flour, and are wanting some recipes, I recommend this blog.  Almost every recipe uses coconut flour, and they all look super delicious (and not to mention healthy).

Of course, I also recommend the recipe featured in this post, which has been tested by yours truly.


I'd like to conclude this post by saying that if anyone reading has any recipes they'd like me to try, or that they'd like to recommend, please leave a comment.  I'm always up for a new edible experiment!

Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Oatmeal Dried Fruit Cookies






Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Can I use whole wheat flour instead of coconut flour? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't think so. I'm by no means any expert, but i think coconut flour has some very special properties that make it work in this recipe. With that said, you could always try it out and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a entirely different topic but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Wonderful choice of colors!

    Feel free to visit my blog post :: acoustic guitar a chord

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!
    Do you buy or do your own applesauce?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy unsweetened applesauce, although I'm sure homemade would work as well.

      Delete
  5. I like what you guys tend to be up too. This kind of clever
    work and coverage! Keep up the terrific works guys I've included you guys
    to my blogroll.

    my webpage dating site free

    ReplyDelete