Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Maple Yogurt Filling

Though I don't believe I've mentioned it before, I'm a big fan of whoopie pies.


But, c'mon, who isn't?

They're just so lovable!  2 pieces of fluffy cake, with creamy frosting sandwiched between, and totally portable, too.  In my opinion, whoopie pies are even better than cupcakes because you get a taste of both frosting and cake with each bite.  (Please don't tell me I'm the only one who always ends up eating all the frosting before I'm finished with the cake.)


And these paricular whoopie pies, though they're much healthier than most you'd find in a bakery, definitely live up to their name.  In fact, they came out even better than I had expected... and I had pretty high hopes for these guys.

The pumpkin cake is super moist, despite being low fat, and the yogurt filling has the absolute perfect tangy to sweet ratio.  Combined they created two little bites of heaven.  Of course I had to have seconds.


If you're still not convinced that you have to have to have to make these, what if I tell you that one of my taste-testers said that these whoopie pies were one of the best things I've ever made?  Does that help?  I don't want to sound braggy or anything, but I've made some pretty yummy stuff!

Plus, they're not even hard to make.  Or at least, not any harder than another baked good.  All you do is mix up your ingredients, then drop the batter onto a cookie sheet.  No special equipment needed.  I was sort of surprised myself with how easy it was.


So, now that you have all those awesome facts floating around your brain, I hope that you've decided to make these.  In fact, I hope you're not even reading this now because you've skipped down below to the recipe.  However, for those of you still reading, I shall not put any more distance between you and this awesome recipe.  Read on!

Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Mape Yogurt Filling
(makes about 10 whoopie pies, depending on size)
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup oat flour (grind down oats to a fine powder in a coffee grinder or food porcessor to make your own)
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch salt
  • 1/8 tsp allspice
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt (vegan yogurt, greek or otherwise, will work too)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350F.  Mix together milk and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.  In another larger bowl, mix together next eight ingredients (through brown sugar).  Then add pumpkin and vanilla to bowl with milk, and stir to combine.  Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until well combined.  Drop batter onto greased cookie sheet (or sheets, if you run out of room) in circles about the same size as each other (it doesn't have to be perfect).  Bake for 7 minutes.  While cakes bake, mix together the last three ingredients (maple syrup, yogurt, and cinnamon) in a small bowl.  When cakes come out of the oven, let cool, and then spread the yogurt mixture on 1 cake piece, and top with another.  Repeat until all whoopie pies are made.  If there's an extra side leftover, I recommend you eat it :)


Now that that's done with, I have something very important to say...

Happy Halloween!

I didn't have any more Halloween themed recipes to share today, but I do wish you all a great night of trick-or-treating and/or handing out candy.  You can bet I'll be having a whole lot of fun!

(And don't worry if you end up with 50 thousand pounds of candy, I plan on posting a whole bunch of recipes that use leftovers)


Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Peanut Butter Pumpkins













(a recent recipe, I know, but it's absolutely perfect for Halloween, so I couldn't resist.)
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. These were fab! They didn't last long around my house :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! I'm beyond happy to hear that you liked them!

      Delete
  2. Yum! These look delicious, so light and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right! So light and fluffy you won't feel bad if you have seconds :)

      Delete
  3. Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post! It
    is the little changes that will make the largest changes.
    Thanks a lot for sharing!

    Here is my webpage diets that work

    ReplyDelete
  4. C and New York. Build relationshipsprivate student loans for people is all about
    value. Whether you are a winner. It makes you think about it, viral campaigns and interactive trailers as extensions of the moviegoing experience, rather than what's achievable with the firm's strengths and business
    opportunities. Instead of saying" Can I have money for food? To receive earnings from affiliate-Private Student Loans For People programs, you have commented on other topics, you can trick a person into believing this is what keeps them coming back for more.

    Here is my site :: Student Loan

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing! How do you recommend storing them? In the fridge?

    ReplyDelete