Sunday, November 25, 2012

Butternut Squash Tofu Curry

I hate bland food.


It's just so... ugh.  If I'm gonna eat something I want it to have flavor.  And lots of it.  I want to be able to remeber what it tasted like the next day so I can fantasize about how delicious it was.  

And bland foods?  Well, usually I forget what they tasted like mere hours after eating them.  Not o.k. in my book. 


So, you can imagine my annoyance (fine, fury) when the dinner I was halfway through making was just that.  Bland and forgettable.  Big uh-oh.  It was time to change something, and fast.

In a panicked frenzy, I dug through my pantry, looking for something, anything, to impart some flavor into the dish.  Eventually, after a couple minutes of total mayhem, I found something I thought might do the trick.  A jar of Trader Joes Thai Green Curry Simmer Sauce.



I had never tried the sauce before, and didn't even recall buying it... but I was pretty desperate.  That's what a bland food does to ya.

After quickly reading through the ingredients - coconut milk, ginger, cilantro - I decided "what the heck" and dumped the whole jar into what I was making.

This could have easily been a huge mistake (I don't advise throwing random sauces into all of your bland foods), but, meraculously, it wasn't.  Not.  One.  Bit.

Instead, my boring dish was transformed into a flavor packed pot of spicy deliciousness.  Thank you Trader Joes.



Butternut Squash Tofu Curry

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 medium butternut squash, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 package extra firm tofu
  • 1 12 oz jar Trader Joes Thai Green Curry Simmer Sauce or something similar
  • 1 package frozen spinach or 12 oz fresh spinach
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion and saute until soft.  Lower heat and add squash, tofu, and simmer sauce to pan.  Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.  Mix in spinach and cook 5 more minutes or until, if using frozen, the spinach has thawed.  Turn off heat.  Serve curry over rice, greens, or on it's own if you think you can handle the spice!  This also makes great leftovers.



For the record, I've already purchased another Trader Joes simmaer sauce just so I can be prepared for the next bland food crisis.  This ones Masala, and, let me just say, I can't wait to use it.  Bland food, watch out!

Revisited Recipe of the Day:

BBQ Tofu



Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds really good! I LOVE Trader Joe's sauces. Their Tomato basil Marinara is my go-to spaghetti sauce base.

    I've been wandering around your site ~ Nice! Great photos, too. I'm also on Blogger, come check me out ~ www.Watching-What-I-Eat.blogspot.com

    Cheers!
    Vicki E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a Trader Joes Sauce Lover too (you know, in case you couldn't tell from the post)! Another one I'm a fan of is their Sweet Chili Sauce. It tastes AMAZING on salmon.

      I've never had their Tomato Basil Marinara, but i'm a lover of all things tomato basil so I'll have to pick some up next time I visit (read: in the next few hours :)).

      I'm off to go check out your blog now! Hope to have you back here soon!

      Delete
  2. your photos show the curry with yellow squash rather than butternut - have you made it both ways?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the yellow squash was something I threw in with the butternut. It's optional, and the dish is great with or without it.

      Delete
  3. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by eating Coconut Fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete