Saturday, November 10, 2012

Grilled Tofu and Vegetables with Soba Noodles

Though it may come as a bit of a shock to you, most of my diet does not, in fact, consist of desserts.

Even more shocking is the fact that I don't even wish it did.


Sure, a diet of just chocolate chips, donuts, and cupcakes can sound tempting at times, but there are so many savory dishes and foods out there that I aboslutely adore.

For example, salmon is like the one of the best foods ever in my opinion.  There's this super simple, incredibly delicious Salmon recipe that I've been meaning to post forever, that I probably have at least 4x a month.  Now that's something I could never give up.

But, thats not what this post is about.  Today, we're talking tofu.


Tofu get's such a bad rep sometimes, and I don't really understand why.  I mean, it's got no taste, what exactly is it that people don't like?  And please don't say texture, because that too can be changed pretty easily.

Personally, I'm a big tofu fan.  I love how it soaks up any flavors you throw it's way, and how it can fit perfectly into a huge variety of different dishes.


Todays recipe is all about the grill, or grill pan, if the weather refuses to cooperate (like it seems to often this time of year).

There's a delicious smoky flavor exploding throughout the whole thing, as well as a slurpy (great word, right?) dose of soba noodles to add a change of texture.

Even if you're not as in love with tofu as I am, I'm almost positive you'll love it!


Grilled Tofu and Vegetables with Soba Noodles - inspired by this recipe
  • 8 ounces soba noodles, cooked according to package directions
  • 4 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 2 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 2 garlic cloves, diced
  • 4 tbsp orange juice
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 package extra firm tofu, patted dry and cut into 1/4" rectangles (like in the pictures)
  • 2 red bell peppers, sliced into wide slices (see pictures for guidance)
  • 3 small yellow summer squash, sliced diagonally into 1/4" slices
  • Optional: Hot sauce, sweet chili sauce, or Sriracha
Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, garlic, orange juice, and ginger in a small bowl and mix to combine.  Place tofu in an 8x8 dish, and cover with about 1/2 of the sauce you just made.  Let marinate for roughly 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, slice vegetables as directed above, and lightly coat them in a bit of the leftover sauce.  Brush grill grates with oil and preheat grill to medium temperature.  Place tofu directly on grill grates and let cook for about 6 minutes on each side, or until light marks appear.  Once tofu is cooked, remove from heat and begin cooking vegetables.  Place them directly on grill grates, too and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until they are browned to your liking.  Toss soba noodles with any remaing sauce, then place noodles on individual serving dishes and top with tofu and vegetables.  If desired, add a bit of hot sauce, sweet chili sauce, or Sriracha on top (I recommend this as it adds some spiciness to the dish).  Enjoy!


All these delicious pictures really reminded me that I need to post more savory recipes on this blog. I swear I do eat "real" lunches and dinners!  It's just that usually they're so tasty (or I'm so hungry) that every little bite is devoured before I even have time to get out a camera, much less set up a pretty photoshoot and snap some quality photos.

I think I'll start setting aside portions to take pictures of the next day.  That way, you all can experience my delicious dinners as well!  Maybe I'll even get to posting that salmon recipe...


Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Tofu Pad Thai





Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Howdy very nice site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I will bookmark your web site
    and take the feeds also? I'm happy to search out a lot of useful info here in the submit, we need develop more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

    My website - übersetzung meaning []

    ReplyDelete