Friday, December 21, 2012

My Favorite KItchen Appliance + Brownie Mix Cookies (Recipe Redux)

Can you believe Christmas is in 4 days?


I can't.  I swear time has never moved as fast as it has this year.

If you're like me, and feel like Thanksgiving was just yesterday, you're probably scrambling to bake your cookies, buy your gifts, and just plain get into the holiday spirit.  It may seem like a tough job, but don't worry, I've got you covered.


Freaking out about last minute gifts?

This months Recipe Redux theme is your favorite kitchen gadget/appliance.  The idea is that hearing about what other people love will inspire gifts for all of your foodie friends.  (Be sure to check out the link-ups at the bottom of this post for more gift ideas!)

Well, my favorite kitchen appliance is hands down my food processor.  I absolutely adore it, and use it all the time.  In fact, it's probably featured in nearly half of the recipes on this blog.  I have a Cuisnart and it's 10+ years old, but still works like I got it months ago.  Like I said before, I LOVE it.  It's perfect for dips, secret ingredient recipes, nut butters, and a ton of other stuff.  I am never at a loss for uses for my Cuisnart!  I know it's a bit of a pricey gift, but it is worth it.  I can say that without a doubt.

I mean, c'mon, it makes yummy food!  That's got to be worth something!



And speaking of yummy food, here's how you solve your cookie baking (or lack of cookie baking) dilemma.

You make cookies... in your food processor (you can also make them without a food processor).  This delicious recipe for Brownie Mix Cookies only uses 3 ingredients and 10 minutes of your time.

It's perfect for bringing to a party too, because it makes a big batch without a lot of effort or anyone being able to tell you didn't put a lot of effort in.  And did I mention the result tastes simply fantastic?  'Cause it does.  A brownie and a cookie all mashed into one, or four if you consider the amount you'll actually eat.  Good thing these cookies are like 10x healthier than most Christmas cookies, right?  I think I forgot to mention that too.


Brownie Mix Cookies
(makes roughly 45 cookies)

  • 1 flax "egg" (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp water)
  • 1 bag of your favorite brownie mix (I used Triple Chocolate Ghirardelli)
  • 1/2 cup 2% plain greek yogurt (I haven't tried fat-free, but it may work)
Preheat oven to 375F.  Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend until no dry clumps remain and mixture is smooth.  Alternately, if you don't have a food processor, you can mix very well by hand.  The dough may look thin, but that's ok.  Scoop dough by heaping tsp onto greased baking sheets.  It will spread out to form a cookie shape, try to not let any of the dough balls spread into each other.  Bake in preheated oven for 7 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cookies cool for at least 3 minutes before removing from pan.  Store in an airtight container.



As for getting into the holiday spirit, here are some things I reccommend:
  1. Bundling into multiple hats, jackets, and gloves even when the weather doesn't require it
  2. Humming along to Christmas carols for hours on end and annoying everyone around you
  3. Purchasing any and all things that have reindeers, candy canes, and/or the colors red and green on them
  4. Eating lots of cookies (brownie ones perhaps)
  5. Eating more cookies
  6. Buying Christmas wrapping paper
  7. And, last but not least, taking a second to take a look around you, and appreciate everything you're lucky enough to have!
Enjoy!


Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Crazy Ingredient Brownies


















Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! I agree. I use my food processor ALL the time. These brownies look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! These pictures are some of my favorites! (Don't worry they taste as good as they look)

      Delete
  2. love this brownie, want to grab one already. My food processor broke few weeks and i m already suffering so much. Its def on my list for this year :) happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I'd do without my food processor! I hope you get a new one soon :) But in the meantime, you know you can make these brownies without a food processor...

      Happy holidays to you too!

      Delete
  3. These look fantastic! And I love that there are only three ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love short ingredient lists too. It makes it so much easier to eat yummy food :)

      Delete
  4. Love the "flax" egg in this - these looks so good and delish and only 3 ingredients to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of flax eggs. They're a great to way to make a recipe healthier and vegan at the same time. And it worked perfectly in these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. espresso Cheap small kitchen appliances were introduced to make life easy and efficient, despite the name "cheaper" attached to it; these appliances do not fall short in giving you the best option in your kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheap small kitchen appliances were introduced to make life easy and efficient, despite the name "cheaper" attached to it; these appliances do not fall espresso short in giving you the best option in your kitchen

    ReplyDelete