Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cinnamon Pita Chips with Lemon Yogurt Dip

Sometimes I buy foods, but then never eat them.  They end up going sour, stale, or moldy.  Bleh.


I mean, really, where on Earth did that bag of pita bread come from?  I swear I did not buy it.  But, yet, there it was, sitting in the kitchen drawer, dangerously close to going stale.

What to do?


I don't know if I've mentioned how much I hate wasting food, but it's true.  It drives me nuts.  But at the same time, I don't want eat food that's already gone bad.  Who wants to do that?

So, you see, I was in a bit of a pickle that day.  I had a big bag of pita bread going stale and nowhere to use it.  Until, I came up with an idea.


It was time to make pita chips.  And so I did.

They came out just fantastic!  Never more shall bread go stale at my house, not when something so delicious can come out of it!

And, thus, my no waste self is satisfied.  I hope you will be too.


Cinnamon Pita Chips with Lemon Yogurt Dip
For Chips:

  • 130 g pita bread
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
For Dip:
  • 1/2 cup plain or vanilla greek yogurt
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp honey, or to taste
Preheat oven to 400F.  Cut pita bread into triangles.  In a small bowl (a ramekin works well) mix together cinnamon, vanilla, and coconut oil.  Brush a bit of the mixture onto each pita bread triangle.  Place pita bread on a lined baking sheet.  Bake for 12-15 minutes, until slightly browned and crisp.  Store chips in an airtight container.  
To make dip, combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and mix until well combined.  Taste, and add more honey if needed.  Store dip in fridge.



If you're ever in a situation when you've got some pita bread, and nowhere to use it, then chips are definitely the way to go.  They're mega easy, mega yummy, and mega healthy as well.  Seriously, best almost stale bread experience ever.  And the dip?  It just takes it to the next level!  You've gotta make 'em, whether your pita bread's old or not.

P. S. It also works with tortillas :)


Revisited Recipe of the Day

Cheesy Star Chips  (a great use for tortillas)




Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete