Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Double Chocolate Cookies

I am a cookie monster.


No, really.  Every baked good coming out of my kitchen these days is a cookie.  And I bake a lot.

I'm not complaining though.  A cookie everyday is something I'm more than happy to deal with, and when each and every cookies is good-for-me, it's no crime to my health either.  A win, win situation.


But what is even better?  Chocolate Cookies!

And I'm not just talking chocolate chip.  No sir!  I'm talking deep, dark, cocoa powder loaded, deee-licious cookies with chocolate chips.  Oh, yes.


These here cookies are all that... and more.  You know, 'cause I haven't mentioned the 100% healthy part.

Loaded with milk chocolate chips, just a smidge of peanut butter, and, oh right, no gluten (!), these cookies are not something to miss out on.

And did I mention I also snuck in some spinach?  Shhhh....

Double Chocolate Cookies

  • 2/3 cup + 1/2 cup oats
  • 2 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1 tbsp yogurt (soy, greek, etc)
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • 2 egg whites (6 tbsp)
  • 1/4 cup spinach (frozen or fresh, thaw if frozen)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • pinch salt
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 3 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup milk chocolate baking melts (or your favorite chocolate chip)
Preheat oven to 380F.  Place oats in food processor and process until ground into small pieces.  Place in a large bowl and set aside. Combine peanut butter, yogurt, milk, egg whites, and spinach in a food processor and process until completely smooth.  Add baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder to bowl with oats.  Mix together.  Add spinach mixture to bowl, and mix again until well incorporated.  Add in maple syrup, vanilla, and baking melts.  Stir together until fully combined.  Scoop by 1/2 tbsp onto a greased cookie sheet.  Press flat with back of spoon.  Bake for 7-8  minutes.  I like these cookies best warm, but they're good room temp as well.



So just to clarify, these cookies are gluten free, as they're made from ground oats, really yummy, and pack in some veggies.  A pretty great package if you ask me!

So mix 'em up, steal some raw dough, and grab one straight from the oven while it's hot.  Enjoy everyone!


Revisited Recipe of the Day:


Cookie Butter Cups


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment