Saturday, February 2, 2013

Date "Caramel" + A Cookie recipe to get you started

So what's up with this whole date caramel thing, anyway?


I mean, what the heck?  Can a fruit really taste like caramel?  Butter, sugar, fat filled caramel?  Is it even possible?


Actually, yes, it sorta is.

I'll admit I was doubtful at first, but when my Dad (of all people) mentioned that he thought dates tasted like caramel I began to believe it just might work.  So I decided to take a chance and make it.


The verdict?  It doesn't taste exactly like caramel, but it tastes pretty darn good none the less.  I think it's just about the best "healthy" caramel sub you're gonna find.

The version I made is more of a thin caramel, perfect for drizzling, adding to coffee, or adding to yogurt.  Oh, yeah, and it also makes pretty good cookies.  More on that coming.  Read on.


Date "Caramel"
  • 10 dates, pitted
  • 2/3 cup + 3 tbsp water
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Place dates in food processor.  Process until they are entirely broken up and form a thick ball.  Add in water and vanilla and process again until completely smooth.  Transfer to a container and store in fridge.  Caramel will keep for a couple weeks in fridge.


Yupp, you read that correctly.  Three ingredients and five minutes is all you need to make a delicious "caramel".  It's the stuff of dreams.  And ya know what else is?

Caramel Cookies.  Ones that look and taste just like their naughty cousins, but aren't nearly as bad.  Ain't life great?

Eat up!


Chocolate Caramel Cookies
(makes 16 cookies)

  • 2/3 cup spelt flour
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • pinch salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tbsp extra dark cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp yogurt (soy, greek, almond, etc)
  • 5 tbsp milk
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1-2 tbsp date caramel (from above)
Preheat oven to 375F.  In a bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.  Add in wet and mix until a thick dough forms.  Form dough into balls on a greased or lined baking sheet.  Flatten slightly.  Bake for 5 minutes.  Then remove cookies from oven and use your thumb to press down on the middle of the cookie while it's still hot. Let cookies cool completely.  Add a little dollop of caramel to the center of cookies.  It's best to store them in the fridge.



Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Carrot Cake Cookie Bites


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation
    but I find this topic to be really something that I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complex and very broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

    my site - Order Xtrasize

    ReplyDelete