Friday, March 15, 2013

Chocolate Banana Frosting


In my opinion, frosting is one of the hardest foods to lighten up.  Cake is easy, cookies are medium, and frosting is just plain hard.


I've attempted a healthy frosting many times, and I'll be the first to admit that many trials have ended up in the trash can.  But do not fear, there has been one success.

The Chocolate Banana Frosting I'm sharing today is by far the best one I've ever made.  It definitely made all the failed attempts worth it.


I put almost all the healthy dessert tricks to use for this one.  We've got banana to sweeten, tofu to add texture, and nut butter to add decadence without butter or shortening.  Oh yeah, and special dark cocoa powder for that rich chocolate flavor.

It's not your classic chocolate frosting, that's for sure.  But it is something that should become a classic at your house.  I'm telling you, you need to give it a try!


Chocolate Banana Frosting

  • 240 g silken firm tofu
  • 1/2 cup nut butter (peanut, almond, etc)
  • 3 tbsp regular cocoa 
  • 3 tbsp extra/special dark cocoa
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp milk
  • 1 1/2 bananas
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and creamy.  It will seem too thin, but that's ok.  Transfer frosting to a container and chill in fridge for at least 24 hours.  During this time, frosting will firm up.  It will also get firmer the longer it sits on whatever you frost with it.  Recipe yields roughly 2 cups.



One more thing...

I had to test this recipe out to see how it held up on a cake, so shortly after making it, I baked my very first leyer cake.  Oh, it was sooooooo delicious!  Here's a sneak peak:


But you're gonna have to wait about a month for that recipe (I know, I'm cruel), 'cause I'm saving it for a very special occasion!  Does anyone have any idea what it is?


Revisited Recipe of the Day:



Chocolate Banana Pancake Squares
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment