Friday, June 21, 2013

Banana Soft Serve with Blueberry Chia Jam

... and a honey drizzle.

Whew!  Did you get through all that?

Despite the very long title, this is actually a super easy dish to prepare.  It's got only four natual ingredients and there is almost no hands on time.  This is also my Recipe ReDux recipe for this month.


The theme this month was to add some sort of seed to a dish that reflects the current season in the place you're living.  I thought this was a great oppurtunity to play around with some chia seeds.  I bought them a while back and so far I've only used them in two or three things.  It was time they get some use again!

The creaton of this dish was centered completely around the Chia Seed Jam I wanted to make.  I'd seen the concept all over, and I couldn't wait to try myself.  Guess what?  It worked perfectly!  With only blueberries and chia seeds I was able to make a thick jam.


I then swirled the jam into some banana soft serve.  I'm sure you've heard of this before, it's just frozen banana blended until they reach an ice cream like consistency.  My plan wasn't to reinvent the wheel with this dish, it was just to put together delicious flavors to create an awesome dish.  The whole thing was topped off with a quick drizzle of honey.  See?  Totally simple.

And that's not to mention, it was sooooooo good.


I served it up for Father's Day dessert, as it's the kind of dessert my dad loves, and every family member devoured it!  They couldn't believe there was no milk, and that only four ingredients were in the whole thing.

With the first day of summer officially being today (!!!), what better way to celebrate than with some completely clean ice cream?


Banana Soft Serve with Blueberry Chia Jam and Honey Drizzle
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 3 cups frozen blueberries
  • 3 tbsp chia seeds
  • honey
  1. Peel and slice your bananas, put them in a plastic bag or container, and stick them in the freezer until they're frozen.
  2. In a large saucepan, bring blueberries to a boil.  Once the juice starts to bubble, reduce heat and add chia seeds.  
  3. Continue to cook, stirring often, until mixture has thickened to a jam-like consistency, about 15 minutes.  If desired, stir in a bit of honey.  Transfer jam to a container and place in fridge.  The longer you keep the jam in the fridge, this thicker it will become.
  4. As close to serving time as possible, place frozen banana slices in the bowl of a food processor or high power blender.  Blend until mixture is smooth, and reaches an ice cream like consitency.
  5. If you will be serving right away, scoop Banana Soft Serve into 3 or 4 bowls to be served.  If not, place in a a large container and freeze until serving time. Place soft serve in 3 or 4 bowls when time to seve.  This will make it a bit firmer, but it still tastes good. 
  6. Take a dollop of Blueberry Jam and place it on top of the soft serve.  Swirl it in if desired.  Add a drizzle of honey and it's time to eat!
Notes:
  • You will definitely have leftover jam.  Use it as you would any other jam.  If you like things pretty sweet, I reccommend topping it with a drizzle or two of honey as well
  • This recipes makes enough for 3-4 people.  This is because it only uses 3 bananas.  To make more servings, simply freeze more bananas.  Easy peasy!
  • To make this entire recipe vegan, simply replace the honey with agave.

Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Banana Split Bowl















Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. This looks like such an easy and simply delicious dessert! I might just have to try it out in the near future, once I've caught some blueberries :D

    Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful Friday!

    x J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just so you know, it's totally ok to use frozen berries for this.

      Delete
  2. oh my goodness all of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, Elizabeth! I'm glad you like the recipe.

      Delete
  3. i loveeee banana soft serve.. next time I'm going to switch it up and add jam .. usually i just put of dollop of pb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peanut butter sounds yummy, but I promise jam is too! Tell me what you think when you try it.

      Delete
  4. Oh by the way, are there any other seeds you can use in place of Chia seeds and still get the right texture?
    I know the chia seeds were one of the main points of the dessert, but I got curious if there were any other types that would do the same trick :)
    x J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I don't think so. Chia seeds have this way of absorbing liquid and expanding, and that's what holds the jam together.

      Delete
  5. This looks amazing! Great concept and seems easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could order this at my local Dairy Queen but I do have frozen bananas, fresh blueberries - just need to buy me some chia seeds and get on the bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only! Maybe in the future they'll start serving this!

      Delete
  7. This looks and sounds fabulous! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete