Thursday, November 7, 2013

Chocolate Strawberry Brownie Sandwiches

Do you ever have kitchen fails?


Times when something goes utterly wrong?  When you have a picture in your head and the result looks nothing like it?

The brownie part of this recipe was one of those times.  I had mixed up my batter, taste-tested it and everything, only to realize that I just plain didn't have enough.  When I poured it into the pan, it was only about 1/4 inch thick.  I don't know about you, but I like my brownies thick.

What to do?


When you end up with a kitchen failure, there are usually two logical next-steps.  One, you decide that whatever you made is beyond saving and throw it in the trash, or, two, you think long and hard about an ingenious way to save the food.

Luckily, the brownies I made were eligible for the latter.


My solution happened to be using the super thin brownies as the "bread" part of a sandwich.  I can't say I had super high expectations, but the results blew me away.  As it turns out, brownies made into a sandwich with a strawberry yogurt filling beat plain old brownies by a long shot!  The whole batch was gone in less than a day.

Thank you, kitchen failure.


Chocolate Strawberry Brownie Sandwiches
Brownie:

  • 2/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup special dark cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp coffee granules
  • 3/4 cup yogurt (plain or vanilla)
  • 1/2 cup date paste
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips
Filling:
  • 5 oz (1/2 cup) strawberry yogurt (I used Fage)
  • 2-3 strawberries, chopped (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tbsp flour
Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease an 8x8 square pan.  In the bowl of a food processor, combine all brownie ingredients except chocolate chips in the bowl of a food processor.  Process until completely combined, stopping as necessary to scrape down the side of the machine.  Add chocolate chips and process quickly to combine.  Pour into prepared pan and spread it a thin layer.  Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, until firm.
To make filling, combine all ingredients in a small bowl.  Mix to combine.  When brownies have cooled, slice into 9 or 16 squares (depending on the size you want).  Spread a thick layer of filling on top of one brownie and top with another.  Continue until all brownies have been used.  Store in fridge until serving time.

Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Extra Fudgy Brownies


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I'm literally drooling right now! I LOVE the pink color and the healthy ingredients. This is GORGEOUS!!:) Pinning and sharing it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I'm so happy you like the recipe, Heather. Please tell me what you think if you make them :)

      Delete
  2. I must say that your choco-strawberry sndwich looks devine! The combination of chcolates and strawberries are like heaven! Thanks so much!

    -http://xobakingco.com/

    ReplyDelete